This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.652, Marvels of the world
Marvels of the world
Vernacular: غرائب الدنيا
As-written name: Fakhr al-Dīn Ḥamzah ibn ʿAlī Āẕarī
Name, in vernacular: فخر الدين حمزة بن علي آذرى
This is an abridged metrical paraphrase of the second maqālah of ʿAjāʾib al-makhlūqāt (The wonders of creation) by Zakariyāʾ al-Qazwīnī (d. 682 AH / 1283 CE) with additions from other sources by Fakhr al-Dīn Ḥamzah ibn ʿAlī Āẕarī (d. 866 AH / 1461-2 CE). The text was copied in Herat (in present-day Afghanistan) in 1022 AH / 1613 CE in the library of the governor of Khurasan Ḥusayn Khān Shāmlū-yi Bīklirbīkī (Beglerbegi). The manuscript is illustrated with fourteen paintings in an early Safavid style from the eleventh century AH / seventeenth CE. The present binding is not original to the manuscript.
22 Rajab 1022 AH / 1613 CE
Herat (present-day Afghanistan)
Literary -- Poetry
The primary language in this manuscript is Persian.
- Transliteration: dar Dār al-Ṣaltanah-’i Harāt dar Kitāb- /1/ Khānah-i Navāb-i mustaṭāb-i muʿallá-alqāb gardun- /2/ rikāb Ḥusayn Khān Shāmlū-yi Bīklirbīkī-yi /3/ vilāyat-i Khurāsān bi-tārīkh-i 22 /4/ shahr-i Rajab al-murajjab sanah-i 1022 /5/ ṣūrat-i taḥrīr /6/ yāft /7/
- Comment: Gives the date and place of copying
Catchwords: Written obliquely on versos
17.0 cm wide by 29.5 cm high
7.5 cm wide by 17.0 cm high
- Columns: 2
- Ruled lines: 14
- Framing lines in blue, gold, red, and green
- Title: Gharāʾib al-dunyā
- Author: Fakhr al-Dīn Ḥamzah ibn ʿAlī Āẕarī
- Incipit: ابتدا ميكنم به سم الله...
- Hand note: Written in nastaʿlīq script in black with chapter headings in white
- Decoration note: Fourteen illustrations; incipit page with illuminated headpiece (fol. 1b); illuminated chapter/section headings; framing lines in blue, gold, red, and green
- Title: Incipit page with illuminated headpiece
- Form: Incipit; headpiece
- Label: This incipit page with illuminated headpiece has a purchase note in the right margin dated 1305 AH / 1887-8 CE.
The binding is not original.
Light olive leather (no flap); onlaid central ovals and pendants
Purchase note: Acquired for Aṣghar ʿAlī by his father Ḥusayn for 310 tomans, dated 1305 AH / 1887-8 CE (fol. 1b)
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Storey, C. A. Persian Literature: A Bio-Bibliographical Survey, Vol. 2. (London: Luzac, 1927- ), 126-127.
Grube, Ernst J. and Maria Alberta Fabris. Muslim Miniature Paintings from the XIII to XIX Century from Collections in the United States and Canada: Catalogue of the Exhibition. (Venezia: N. Pozza, 1962), 122-3.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.