This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.732, Single leaf and fragment with Crucifixion and colophon
Single leaf and fragment with Crucifixion and colophon
This manuscript fragment provides valuable clues about the prayer book of which it was once a part. The colophon on the verso of the image records that the manuscript was written at the Monastery of SS. Ulrich and Afra in Augsburg, Germany, in 1516 by the prolific scribe Leonhard Wirstlin, known also as Leonhard Wagner. The image on the recto, a simple but expressive drawing of the crucified Christ, may be connected to another important figure from the time, as it is believed to be the work of an artist from the circle of Hans Holbein the Elder. A painted floral border, now missing its accompanying text, has traditionally been paired with the intact leaf and is presumed to have come from the same manuscript. Although the illuminations are striking, the main leaf was originally purchased by the Walters not for its art but for its script: it provides an excellent example of what is referred to as Augsburg Maximilian script, which has interesting parallels in printed works of the same period.
Supplied name: School of Hans Holbein the Elder
As-written name: Leonhardum Wirstlin
Known as: Leonhard Wagner
The primary language in this manuscript is Latin.
- Transliteration: Finit per fratrem Leonhardum Wirstlin presbiterum et conventualem monasterij sanctorum udalrici et affrem augusta vindelicorum 1516
- Translation: Leonhard Wirstlin, conventual priest of the Monastery of SS. Ulrich and Afra in Augsburg, finished this in 1516
Medium-weight, heavily worn parchment
Foliation: Not applicable
Formula: Not applicable
10.9 cm wide by 13.7 cm high
8.5 cm wide by 11.8 cm high
- Columns: 1
- Ruled lines: 19
- Title: Prayer book fragments
- Hand note: Calligraphic cursive book script of Gothic origin, sometimes referred to as Augsburg Maximilian script
- Decoration note: One full-page miniature, line drawing with green, red, and brown accents; fragment of painted floral border in yellow, red, green, blue, and white; text in black ink
Leaf was originally the colophon of a prayer book, written at the Monastery of SS. Ulrich and Afra in Augsburg, Germany, in 1516 by friar Leonhard Wirstlin
Ed. Schultze, before 1901, his stamp on recto; sold in his sale in Munich, February 7-15, 1901
Fred Werther, Baltimore, before 1945
Walters Art Museum, purchased from Werther in May 1945, for $10.00
Faye, C. U. and W. H. Bond. Supplement to the Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. New York, 1962, p. 197, no. 559.
Miner, Dorothy. "Since de Ricci--Western Illuminated Manuscripts Acquired since 1934: A Report in Two Parts: Part 1." Journal of the Walters Art Gallery 29-30 (1966): pp. 68-103, pp. 100-103, figs. 23, 24.
"Bulletin Codicologique." Scriptorium 26 (1972): pp. 130-246, p. 208, no. 402.
Catalogers: Dutschke, Consuelo; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Sciacca, Christine; Valle, Chiara
Editor: Herbert, Lynley
Copy editor: Dibble, Charles
Conservators: Owen, Linda; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Bockrath, Diane; Davis, Lisa Fagin; Emery, Doug; Hamburger, Jeffrey; Klemm, Elizabeth; Noel, William; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.