This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.673, Album of Persian calligraphy
Album of Persian calligraphy
This is an illuminated album (muraqqaʿ) in accordion format containing Persian calligraphy. It was executed in Iran during the eleventh century AH / seventeenth CE. Lines of text in black nastaʿlīq script are framed by decorative cloud-bands. Borders are decorated with illuminated vegetal and animal motifs on multicolored paper. This album bears a seal impression of the Ottoman Sultan ʿUthmān Khān (Osman III, r. 1167 AH / 1754 CE -- 1170 AH / 1757 CE) and a bequest (waqf) entry and seal by Ibrāhīm Ḥanīf, inspector of awqāf (fol. 1b). The dark brown leather binding with central oval and pendants is contemporary with the manuscript but may not be original to it.
11th century AH / 17th CE
Literary -- Poetry
The primary language in this manuscript is Persian.
Multicolored paper mounted on pasteboard
Written and decorated on one side of the leaf only
14.0 cm wide by 25.0 cm high
5.5 cm wide by 8.5 cm high
- Columns: 1
- Ruled lines: 2
- Lines framed in rectangular compartments
- Title: Muraqqaʿ
- Incipit: ندانم چه كفتند اعيا ر از من...
- Text note: Fragmentary Persian verses
- Hand note: Written in large nastaʿlīq script in black ink
- Decoration note: Illuminated headpiece with the doxological formula (basmalah) (fol. 1b); illuminated cloud-bands surrounding verses; borders decorated with vegetal and animal motifs on multicolored paper
Upper board inside:
- Title: Doublure
- Form: Binding
- Label: This doublure is made of light brown leather and has a central oval and pendants decorated with filigree work.
- Title: Incipit page with illuminated headpiece
- Form: Incipit; headpiece; seal
- Label: This incipit page has an illuminated headpiece with the doxological formula (basmalah), which reads, "in the name of God the Merciful, the Compassionate." The whole is set within borders decorated with animal and vegetal motifs. In the left margin is the seal of the Ottoman Sultan Osman III (r. 1167 AH / 1754 CE -- 1170 AH / 1757 CE) with the superscript old shelf mark 5012 and (below the seal) a bequest (waqf) entry and seal by Ibrāhīm Ḥanīf, inspector of awqāf.
The binding date is undetermined.
Dark brown leather with central oval and pendants; doublures of light brown leather with filigree work
Seal of Sultan ʿUthmān Khān ibn Muṣṭafá Khān and a bequest (waqf) entry and seal by Ibrāhīm Ḥanīf, inspector of awqāf, and the shelfmark 5012 (fol. 1b)
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.