This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.629, Collection of poems (divan)
Collection of poems (divan)
Vernacular: ديوان حافظ
Authority name: Ḥāfiẓ, 14th cent.
As-written name: Shams al-Dīn Muḥammad Ḥāfiz al-Shīrāzī
Name, in vernacular: شمس الدين محمد حافظ الشيرازي
Note: Author dates preferred by cataloger: fl. 8th century AH / 14th CE
This manuscript is an illuminated and illustrated copy of the collection of poems (dīvān) by Shams al-Dīn Muḥammad Ḥāfiz al-Shīrāzī (fl. eighth century AH / fourteenth CE). The text was written in nastaʿlīq script in black ink on buff and rose-tinted laid paper in Shawwāl 958 AH / 1552 CE. The codex contains four illustrations (fols. 41a, 95b, 147a, and 179b). The dark brown goatskin binding with central medallion and pendants panel-stamped in relief is original to the manuscript.
Shawwāl 958 AH / 1552 CE
Literary -- Poetry
The primary language in this manuscript is Persian.
- Transliteration: tammat [sic] al-kitāb bi ʿawn Allāh al-malik al-wahhāb wa-ḥusn tawfīqih wa /1/ al-ṣal<ā>h wa-al-salām ʿalá Muḥammad wa ālih ajmaʿīn wa-sallama taslīman /2/ dāyiman abadan kathīran fī ta<ʾ>rīkh shahr /3/ Shawwāl sanat tisʿ wa-khamsīn /4/ wa-tisʿimi<ʾ>ah al-hijrīyah /5/ al-muṣṭafawīyah /6/ tamma /7/
- Comment: In Arabic; gives date of copying
Buff and rose-tinted laid paper
Foliation in Hindu-Arabic numerals beginning with the first double-page opening
Catchwords: Written obliquely on versos
12.0 cm wide by 20.5 cm high
7.0 cm wide by 12.5 cm high
- Columns: 2
- Ruled lines: 12
- Framing lines in gold, black, and blue
- Title: Dīvān-i Ḥāfiẓ
- Author: Ḥāfiẓ, 14th cent.
- Incipit: الا يا ايها الساقى ادر كاسا وناولها...
- Hand note: Written in nastaʿlīq script in black ink
- Decoration note: Four illustrations (fols. 41a, 95b, 147a, and 179b); illuminated incipit with headpiece (fol. 1b); interlinear illumination (fols. 1b-2a)
- Title: Illuminated incipit page with headpiece
- Form: Incipit; headpiece
- Label: This page has an illuminated headpiece inscribed wa-Llah khayr hāfiz. The main text is decorated with interlinear illumination with polychrome motifs. The vertical divider is illuminated with floral motifs on a blue ground. The headpiece and written surface are surrounded by a dark blue band with white crosses and an illuminated frame.
The binding is original.
Dark brown goatskin (with flap); central medallion and pendants panel-stamped in relief
Muṣṭafá Pāshā Vālī-i Iskandarīyah, 1231 (fol. 1a)
Ḥasan Ḥaqqī, 1285 (fol. 1a)
Ḥasan Ḥaqqī Vālī-i Salānīk, 1303 (fol. 1a)
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Gacek, Adam. Persian Manuscripts in the Libraries of McGill University: Brief Union Catalogue. (Montreal: McGill University Libraries, 2005), no. 39.
Richard, Francis. Catalogue des manuscrits persans. (Paris: Bibliothèque nationale, 1989), nos. 244, 270-4, 318; 2: 326-8.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.