This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.590, Glossary of Islamic legal terminology
Glossary of Islamic legal terminology
Vernacular: المصباح المنير في غريب الشرح الكبير
As-written name: Aḥmad ibn Muḥammad ibn ʿAlī al-Muqrī al-Fayyūmī
Name, in vernacular: احمد بن محمد بن علي المقري الفيومي
This is a manuscript copy of al-Miṣbāḥ al-munīr fī gharīb al-Sharḥ al-Kabīr by Aḥmad ibn Muḥammad al-Muqrī al-Fayyūmī (d. ca. 770 AH / 1368 CE). It is a dictionary of Islamic legal terms that was originally written as a gloss on the commentary of ʿAbd al-Karīm al-Rāfiʿī (d. 623 AH / 1226 CE) on al-Wajīz fī al-furūʿ by Abū Ḥāmid Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad al-Ghazzālī (d. 505 AH / 1111 CE), entitled Fatḥ al-ʿazīz ʿalá kitāb al-Wajīz. The manuscript was copied by the shi`ite scribe ʿAlī ibn Muḥibb ʿAlī in 1083 AH / 1673 CE in Iran. The text was later collated with three other manuscripts in Mecca in 1166 AH / 1752 CE by Muḥammad al-Aṭrābazundī. The light brown goatskin binding with gold-tooled oval central medallion, pendants, and cornerpieces is contemporary with the manuscript.
1st Dhū al-Qaʿdah 1083 AH / 1673 CE
As-written name: ʿAlī ibn Muḥibb ʿAlī
Name, in vernacular: علي بن محب علي
The primary language in this manuscript is Arabic.
- Transliteration: tamma al-kitāb al-mubārak bi-ḥamd Allāh taʿalá /1/ wa-ʿawnih wa-ḥusn tawfīqih ʿalyad afqar ʿibād Allāh wa-aḥwajihim ilá maghfiratih ʿAlī Ibn Muḥibbʿalī /2/ ghafara Allāh lahu wa-li-wālidayhi wa-mashāyikhih wa-jamīʿ al-muslimīn /3/ ghurrat shahr Dhī al-Qaʿdah sanat /4/ tal<ā>th wa-thamānīn wa-alf aḥsana Allāh /5/ ʿāqibatahahā bi-khayr bi-Muḥammad wa-<ā>alih amīn amīn /6/ yā Rabb al-ʿālamīn /7/
- Comment: Colophon gives the name of the scribe and the date of copying
Earlier foliation in Hindu-Arabic numerals ending on fol. 146
Catchwords: Written obliquely on versos
16.0 cm wide by 28.0 cm high
12.5 cm wide by 24.5 cm high
- Columns: 1
- Ruled lines: 39
- Title: Al-Miṣbāḥ al-munīr fī gharīb al-Sharḥ al-Kabīr
- Author: Aḥmad ibn Muḥammad ibn ʿAlī al-Muqrī al-Fayyūmī
- Scribe: ʿAlī ibn Muḥibb ʿAlī
- Incipit: قال العبد الفقير...الحمد لله رب العالمين...
- Text note: Present copy was collated with three other copies by Muḥammad al-Aṭrābazundī in Makkah (Mecca), mid Shaʿbān 1166 AH / 1752 CE (see fol. 147a); title page is preceded by an alphabetical table of contents (fol. 1b)
- Hand note: Written in black and red naskh
- Decoration note: Headpiece; red double-line rulings
Upper board outside:
- Title: Binding
- Form: Binding
- Label: This light brown goatskin binding with flap is contemporary with the manuscript and is decorated with gold-tooled oval central medallion, pendants, and cornerpieces.
fol. 1 b:
- Title: Alphabetical table of contents
- Form: Text page; table of contents
- Text: Table of contents
- Label: This alphabetical table of contents precedes the title page. It is written in red ink for the chapters and black ink for the folio numbers.
- Title: Colophon with later notations
- Form: Colophon
- Label: The colophon on this page gives the name of the scribe as ʿAlī ibn Muḥibb ʿAlī and the date of copying as 1083 AH / 1673 CE. Later notations were written by Muḥammad al-Aṭrābazundī in Makkah (Mecca) in the month of Shaʿbān in the year 1166 AH / 1752 CE.
Contemporary with manuscript; light brown goatskin (with flap); gold-tooled oval central medallion, pendants, and cornerpieces; pastedowns of colored paper
Muḥammad Afandī Ṭarābizānī (fol. 2a)
Aḥmad ibn ʿAbd Allāh al-Kādharūnī (fol. 2a)
Ismāʿīl al-Sayyid ʿAṭāʾ Allāh al-Mālikī al-Ḥusaynī, 1113 AH / 1701 CE, plus seal (fol. 2a)
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Brockelmann, Carl. Geschichte der arabischen Litteratur (New York; Köln: E.J. Brill, 1996), 2:31; S2:20.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.