This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.586, Work on the duties of Muslims toward the Prophet Muhammad with an account of his life
Work on the duties of Muslims toward the Prophet Muhammad with an account of his life
Vernacular: الشفاء في تعريف حقوق المصطفى
As-written name: Abū al-Faḍl ʿIyāḍ ibn Mūsá al-Yaḥṣubī al-Bāhilī
Supplied name: ʿIyāḍ al-Yaḥṣubī (d. 544 AH / 1149 CE)
Name, in vernacular: ابو الفضل عياض بن موسى اليحصبي الباهلي
Note: Author name supplied by cataloger
This manuscript is an illuminated copy of the popular work on the duties of Muslims toward the Prophet Muhammad known as al-Shifāʾ by ʿIyāḍ al-Yaḥṣubī (d. 544 AH / 1149 CE). According to the colophon, it was completed in 1191 AH / 1777 CE by Salīm al-Rashīd. The text is written in Turkish naskh script in black ink with incidentals in red and gold. The dark brown leather binding is contemporary with the manuscript.
16 Shawwāl 1191 AH / 1777 CE
As-written name: Salīm al-Rashīd
Name, in vernacular: سليم الرشيد
The primary language in this manuscript is Arabic.
- Transliteration: katabahu ʿabd min ʿibād Allāh ʿazza wa-jalla wa-anā al-faqīr al-ḥaqīr /1/ al-mudhnib al-dhalīl al-ḍaʿīf Salīm al-Rashīd /2/ ghafara Allāh dhunūbahu wa satara ʿuyūbahu Allhumma /3/ iḥfaẓ li-ṣāḥibih wa-kātibih wa-qāriʾih /4/ wa-li-man naẓara fīhi min al-afāt wa-al-ʿilal āmīna /5/ yā rabb al-ʿālamīn qad tamma al-farāgh min taḥrīr /6/ h<ā>dhihi [sic] al-Shifāʾ al-sharīf li-sittat /7/ ʿashar min shahr Shawwāl al-mubārak /8/ baʿda al-ẓuhr min yawm al-aḥad /9/ li-sanat iḥdá wa-tisʿīn /10/ wa-miʾah wa-alf min hijrah /11/ man lahu al-saʿādah /12/ wa-al-ʿizz wa-al-majd / 13/ wa-al-sharaf /14/
- Comment: Gives short title of work, name of scribe, and date of copying
Catchwords: Written obliquely on versos
Comments: Codex mostly made up of quires of ten folios (quinions)
10.5 cm wide by 18.0 cm high
5.5 cm wide by 11.5 cm high
- Columns: 1
- Ruled lines: 23
- Framing lines in gold, red, and black
- Title: al-Shifāʾ fī taʿrīf ḥuqūq al-Muṣṭafá
- Author: Abū al-Faḍl ʿIyāḍ ibn Mūsá al-Yaḥṣubī al-Bāhilī
- Scribe: Salīm al-Rashīd
- Incipit: قال انبانا الفقيه القاضى ابو الفضل ... الحمد لله المنفرد باسمه ...
- Text note: Some marginal corrections; main text enclosed in a golden frame
- Hand note: Written in Turkish naskh script in black ink with incidentals in red and gold
- Decoration note: Illuminated headpiece; framing lines in gold, red, and black
The binding is original.
Dark brown leather (with flap); lobed central oval with cornerpieces and borders; doublures of red leather with gold-painted ovals and cornerpieces
Seal impression with the name al-Sayyid Abū Bakr al-Ḥilmī and the date 1281[?]AH / 1864-5[?] CE (fol. 1a)
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Brockelmann, Carl. Geschichte der arabischen Litteratur (New York; Köln: E.J. Brill, 1996), 1: 455, S1: 630.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.