This document is a tranformation of a TEI P5 XML manuscript description incorporating images. If you have trouble reading special or non-Latin characters on this page, please make sure you have appropriate Unicode fonts installed and an up-to-date web browser.
Walters Ms. W.584, Gloss on a commentary on the Koran
Gloss on a commentary on the Koran
Vernacular: حاشية على انوار التنزيل
Authority name: Kemalpaşazade, 1468 or 9-1534
As-written name: Aḥmad ibn Sulaymān ibn Kamāl Pāshā
Name, in vernacular: احمد بن سليمان بن كمال پاشا
Known as: Ibn Kamāl Pāshā
Note: Author dates preferred by cataloger: d. 940 AH / 1533 CE
This Ottoman manuscript is a gloss (ḥāshiyah) by Kemalpaşazade (d. 940 AH / 1533 CE) on the commentary on the Qur’an composed by ʿAbd Allāh al-Bayḍawī (d. ca. 685 AH / 1286 CE) entitled Anwār al-tanzīl. Transcribed in 966 AH / 1558 CE, the present copy was made from the author's holograph by ʿUthmān ibn Manṣūr. The text is written in Turkish nastaʿlīq script in black ink with the words qāla and aqūlu in red, and it opens with an illuminated incipit with titlepiece inscribed with the doxological formula (basmalah). The dark brown leather binding has a central lobed oval with pendants and cornerpieces with arabesque designs on a gold ground.
Thursday 3 Dhū al-Ḥijjah 966 AH / 1558 CE
As-written name: ʿUthmān ibn Manṣūr
Name, in vernacular: عثمان بن منصور
The primary language in this manuscript is Arabic.
- Transliteration: al-ḥamd li-man yasurru lanā al-farāgh ʿan al-taḥrīr wa-al-al-tanmīq ʿan nuskhat al-muṣ [al-muṣannif] bi-khaṭṭih al-sharīf /1/ ṣāḥib al-taḥqīq wa-al- tadqīq [placed in the left margin: al-shahīr bi-al-faḍl wa-al-kamāl // Aḥmad ibn Sylaymān ibn Kamāl // al-mustakhraj ʿan baḥr al-ʿulūm bāshan? // al-maʿrūf bayna al-anām bi-Ibn Kamāl Pāshā //] ʿalá yad al-faqīr ilá al-irshād wa-al-tawfīq /2/ al-rājī ʿan rabbih al-hidāyah ilá sawāʾ al-ṭarīqqʾilan fī duʿāʾih al-malik /3/ al-karīm yā walī al-rushd yā hādī bi-Qurʾān ḥakīm ihdi ʿUthmān ibn Manṣūr /4/ al-ṣirāṭ al-mustaqīm fī laylat yawm al-khamīs thālith shahr Dhī al-Ḥijjah /5/ li-sanat sitt wa-sittīn wa-tisʿimi<ʾ>ah min al-hijrah al-nabawīyah sanah 966 /6/
- Comment: Written in red ink, giving details about the model (exemplar), the author's name, the name of the scribe, and the date of copying
Laid European paper
Fols. 151b and 156b without text
Catchwords: No isolated catchwords; last word on the bottom line of versos repeated at the beginning of rectos
13.0 cm wide by 21.0 cm high
7.0 cm wide by 13.5 cm high
- Columns: 1
- Ruled lines: 21
- Title: Ḥāshiyah ʿalá Anwār al-tanzīl
- Author: Kemalpaşazade, 1468 or 9-1534
- Scribe: ʿUthmān ibn Manṣūr
- Incipit: قال اما العظملة اقول حقيقلة او ادعاء ...
- Text note: Colophon (fol. 151a) is followed by what appears to be additional glosses beginning with the first chapter (Sūrat fātiḥat al-kitāb) (fol. 152a); text ends abruptly on fol. 156a; numerous marginal glosses known as minhiyāt present, attributable to Ibn Kamāl Pāshā
- Hand note: Written in Turkish nastaʿlīq script in black ink with the words qāla and aqūlu in red
- Decoration note: Illuminated incipit with titlepiece with the doxological formula (basmalah) in tawqīʿ script (fol. 1b); fols. 1b-2b and 7a-b with gold framing lines around text
Upper board outside flap open:
- Title: Binding
- Form: Binding
- Label: This dark brown leather binding with damaged, backwards flap has a central lobed oval with pendants and cornerpieces with arabesque designs on a gold ground. The doublures of red leather have a central geometric design.
- Title: Page with stamp and shelf mark
- Form: Stamp
- Label: This page bears the bequest (waqf) seal of the Vizier al-Shahīd ʿAlī Pāshā, dated 1130 AH / 1717 CE, beneath which is the original shelf mark 191.
- Title: Illuminated incipit page with titlepiece
- Form: Incipit; titlepiece
- Label: This illuminated incipit page has a titlepiece with the doxological formula (basmalah) written in white tawqīʿ script on a gold background.
- Title: Text page with the seal of the Vizier al-Shahīd ʿAlī Pāshā
- Form: Text page; seal
- Label: At the left of this text page is the bequest (waqf) seal of the Vizier al-Shahīd ʿAlī Pāshā, dated 1130 AH / 1717 CE.
The binding is not original.
Dark brown leather (with damaged flap attached backwards); central lobed oval, pendants, and cornerpieces with arabesque designs on a gold ground; doublures of red leather with a central geometric design
[Ex libris] (min kutub) ʿAlī (front flyleaf ia)
Bequest (waqf) seal of the Vizier al-Shahīd ʿAlī Pāshā, dated 1130 AH, and the original shelf mark 191 beneath (fol. 1a); the same seal impression appears on fols. 1b, 2a, and 156b
Walters Art Museum, 1931, by Henry Walters bequest
Brockelmann, Carl. Geschichte der arabischen Litteratur (New York; Köln: E.J. Brill, 1996), 1: 532; S1: 740.
Principal cataloger: Gacek, Adam
Catalogers: Landau, Amy; Smith, Sita
Editor: Bockrath, Diane
Conservators: Jewell, Stephanie; Quandt, Abigail
Contributors: Barrera, Christina; Emery, Doug; Herbert, Lynley; Noel, William; Simpson, Shreve; Tabritha, Ariel; Toth, Michael B.; Valle, Chiara
The Walters Art Museum
Licensed for use under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Access Rights, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode. It is requested that copies of any published articles based on the information in this data set be sent to the curator of manuscripts, The Walters Art Museum, 600 North Charles Street, Baltimore MD 21201.